7 continents of the world
The widely recognized all the 7 continents are listed by size below, from biggest to smallest.
- Asia (43,820,000 sq km) includes 50 countries, and it is the most populated continent, the 60% of the total population of the Earth live here.
- Africa (30,370,000 sq km) comprises 54 countries. It is the hottest continent and home of the world's largest desert, the Sahara, occupying the 25% of the total area of Africa.
- North America (24,490,000 sq km) includes 23 countries led by the USA as the largest economy in the world.
- South America (17,840,000 sq km) comprises 12 countries. Here is located the largest forest, the Amazon rainforest, which covers 30% of the South America total area.
- Antarctica (13,720,000 sq km) is the coldest continent in the world, completely covered with ice. There are no permanent inhabitants, except of scientists maintaining research stations in Antarctica.
- Europe (10,180,000 sq km) comprises 51 countries. It is the most developed economically continent with the European Union as the biggest economic and political union in the world.
- Australia (9,008,500 sq km) includes 14 countries. It is the least populated continent after Antarctica, only 0.3% of the total Earth population live here.